Slip and Fall
Áreas de práctica
Slip and Fall Lawyer
At Dunk Law Firm, our lawyers understand the serious impact that a slip and fall accident can have on an individual's life. The victim of a slip and fall can suffer painful injuries, face high medical expenses for emergency and long-term treatment as well as be unable to work and earn income for an extended period.
However, if the accident resulted from the negligence of a property owner, a slip and fall victim may have legal options available to him or her. The individual might be qualified to seek a legal claim that can result in payment of all medical costs and compensation for the individual's lost wages, pain and suffering and even more.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a slip, trip and fall, you can speak with a lawyer from Dunk Law Firm today and learn more regarding the options available to you.
Should You Hire a Lawyer After a Slip and Fall Accident?
You may be worried about your ability to afford an attorney to manage your slip and fall claim. However, at Dunk Law Firm, we will charge no legal fees or case expenses unless we get a financial recovery for you. We don't want cost concerns to prevent you from getting the legal help you need.
We believe an attorney can play a crucial role in your claim, specifically when dealing with insurance companies. The reality is that the insurance providers will attempt to pay as little compensation as possible for the physical, psychological and financial harm you have endured. An attorney will be focused on protecting you and your interests.
A premises liability attorney at Dunk Law Firm, will:
- Extensively examine your slip and fall and develop the strongest case possible
- Consult with professionals that will allow us to understand why your slip and fall occurred, who should be held accountable as well as what medical care and treatment you will need to recover from your injuries.
- Submit all claims on your behalf in a prompt and proper manner.
- Aggressively pursue a settlement that fully compensates you for your losses or take your case to court (if necessary).
- Structure any type of award you obtain to ensure that it maximizes your compensation and guarantees you will get the medical care you need in the future.
We are a law firm that is passionate about pursuing outcomes that will really make a difference in the lives of our clients.
What Must You Prove in a Slip and Fall Case?
A slip and fall accident is a kind of premises liability case. It can be brought against any kind of property owner or inhabitant, including a private homeowner, store or other business or a local, state or federal government.
To recover damages in a slip and fall claim, you typically have to show:
- A condition on the property presented an unreasonable threat of harm to you. Hazards that might cause a person to slip, trip and fall consist of:
- Broken or uneven pavement on walkways or in parking lots
- Snowy, icy or wet floors and walkways
- Ripped, torn or loose rugs and carpets
- Liquids spilled on floors
- Broken or uneven stairs
- Poor lighting in hallways, stairwells, or outside walkways
- Holes in the ground or objects sticking out of the ground
- Broken, missing or loose handrails
- Malfunctioning escalators or elevators
- The property owner knew or, in the exercise of ordinary care, should have known of both the condition and injury risk. Essentially, the owner or occupier had "actual notice" based on seeing the slip and fall risk or creating the hazard or "constructive notice" based on the risk existing long enough that the owner or occupier should have seen it.
- The property owner might have reasonably anticipated that you would not have discovered or recognized the risk or would fail to protect yourself against the risk. For instance, you would not have known that an office building lobby was slippery because it had recently been mopped.
- The property owner failed to take reasonable steps to protect you by either repairing the hazard or providing you a proper warning regarding it.
- As a result of the property owner's carelessness, you sustained injuries.
As you consider whether you have the option to bring a slip and fall claim, you will need to ask yourself several vital questions, including:
- If you tripped or slipped, had the dangerous area existed long enough so that the owner should have known about it?
- If there once was a good reason for the object to be there but that reason no longer exists, could the object have been removed?
- Was there a safer area the object could have been located without much greater inconvenience or cost to the property owner?
- Could a basic barrier have been developed or a caution given to prevent you from slipping or tripping?
- Did insufficient or damaged lighting contribute to the accident?
What Compensation Can I Obtain for a Slip and Fall Injury?
A slip and fall accident can cause a variety of serious injuries, including fractures, soft-tissue damage, spinal cord injuries as well as traumatic brain injury (TBI). It is essential to consult with a law firm that will seek maximum compensation for the harm you have suffered, including:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost wages and decreased earning capability
- Dolor y sufrimiento
- Loss of quality of life
A property owner's insurance company might attempt to put blame on you for your slip and fall accident. For example, the insurer might allege that you tripped, slipped and fell because of an "open and obvious" risk that you should have detected or did something else that was negligent.
You could be denied from recouping anything if you were more than 50 percent responsible for your injury. Otherwise, your damages would be decreased by a quantity that is proportionate to the percentage of fault credited to you.
Your attorney from Dunk Law Firm, will aggressively oppose any type of unfounded claims made by a property owner's insurance company as well as work diligently to protect your legal rights.
What is the Statute of Limitatinos on a Slip and Fall Case?
It is essential to speak to an attorney as soon as possible if you are hurt in a slip and fall accident. An attorney must take steps as soon as possible to preserve proof and start the process of bringing a case against the property owner.
A slip and fall claim, like other personal injury claims, must be filed within two years after an accident has taken place. This is called the statute of limitations. If you fail to meet that deadline, you could be denied from seeking a claim.
A slip and fall lawyer at Dunk Law Firm, will ensure your case is prompt and properly filed.
tu lucha es nuestra luchacontacte con nosotros ahora
¿Qué preguntas debo hacer a un abogado de lesiones personales?
¿Cuánto cuestan los honorarios de los abogados por daños personales?
¿Qué es una indemnización justa por daños personales?