Abogados de accidentes de atropello en Milwaukee

En Dunk Law Firm, realmente nos preocupamos por todos y cada uno de nuestros clientes. Sabemos que estar involucrado en un accidente inesperado o perder a un ser querido en un incidente trágico es abrumador. Estamos aquí para ayudar.

CONOZCA AL EQUIPOcontacto con nosotros

contacte con nuestro bufete hoy mismo

Su lucha es nuestra lucha

Gracias. Hemos recibido su envío.
¡Ups! Algo salió mal al enviar el formulario.

Helping You Understand Your Options for Obtaining Compensation

busy intersection with pedestrians crossing the road

In Wisconsin, it is illegal to not stop your vehicle after an accident that causes or that you have reason to believe causes property damage, bodily injury, or death. When someone hits another object—be it another vehicle, a parked car, or even a person—and then drives off, it’s known as a “hit and run.” Being the victim of a hit and run accident can be incredibly frightening and frustrating. If you were unable to get any information from the hit and run driver, such as his or her contact and insurance information, how can you get compensation for your medical expenses, vehicle repairs, and other damages?

In fact, you may be able to recover compensation through your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. The Milwaukee hit and run accident lawyers at Dunk Law Firm can help you go over your auto insurance coverage and work with your insurance provider in an effort to secure the maximum compensation you are entitled to receive. We have extensive experience in negotiating with insurance adjusters and there is no cost to working with us unless/until we recover compensation on your behalf.

Request a free, confidential consultation with our hit and run accident lawyers in Milwaukee today; call (414) 206-1295 or contact us online to get started.

En esta página:

What Is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

The state of Wisconsin requires all licensed drivers to carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. This is a type of coverage that protects you in the event you are hit by someone who does not have any auto insurance or does not stop, so you are unable to get their insurance information.

Wisconsin UM requirements are as follows:

  • All drivers must carry at least $25,000 per person in uninsured motorist coverage
  • All drivers must carry at least $50,000 per accident in uninsured motorist coverage

This coverage applies not only to you but to your family members and other passengers in your vehicle as well. So, if you are hit by another motorist who fails to stop, everyone in your vehicle is covered by your UM policy up to $50,000 (or more, if you have elected additional UM coverage).

Underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage is not mandatory in Wisconsin; however, it is a good idea to add this coverage to your basic auto insurance policy. UIM coverage goes into effect when the other driver’s insurance limits do not meet your UIM limits. This type of insurance may be a solution for you if you have been involved in a hit and run accident.

Can I Sue My Insurance Company for a Hit and Run?

Yes. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, but your insurance company is refusing to pay out for the damages sustained in the accident, or if you feel they are not offering you a fair payout, you can always consult a hit and run injury attorney to file a lawsuit against your insurance company. Fighting insurance companies can be extremely difficult, but with the right attorney on your side, you increase your chances of your lawsuit succeeding.

How Much Is a Hit and Run Settlement Worth?

Similar to other types of car accidents, in a hit and run accident you normally have the opportunity to pursue compensation for medical bills, damaged property, missed work, pain and suffering, etc. The exact settlement amount will vary depending on the severity of your injuries and other aspects of your accident.

One unique aspect of a hit and run claim is that you may be able to pursue punitive damages on the basis that the defendant acted in a manner that showed serious or intentional disregard for the injured party. If you intend to pursue punitive damages for your hit and run claim you will definitely want to contact a lawyer and discuss the incident.

What to Do If You Are Involved in a Hit & Run

what to do after a hit and run infographic

In the immediate aftermath of the accident, you are likely to feel a great deal of shock and outrage, particularly once you realize the at-fault driver is not going to stop. Because of this, you may not be able to remember any information about the other driver or his/her vehicle. However, it's important that you take down the following information:

  • If you were able to note the make and model of their vehicle or the license plate number, make sure to write it down as soon as it’s safe to do so
  • It’s also a good idea to document the damage to your vehicle (take pictures, if possible), as well as your injuries
  • You should also document any other information about the accident, such as where it occurred and at what time of day.
  • If you are able to do so, contact police and have them come to the scene of the accident to create an official police report. A hit and run is a crime, and you will need to inform police of the incident.

If you were injured at all in the accident, or if anyone in your vehicle was injured, seek immediate medical attention. Even if you are worried about having to pay for medical bills, do not avoid going to the doctor. Your health and well-being are of the utmost importance, and our firm can help you look at your options for recovering compensation for your medical bills.

Lastly, hit and run accident claims can be very complex. Even if you have the appropriate coverage through your own insurance policy, actually obtaining compensation—full compensation—is not always easy. It’s important that you reach out to an experienced Milwaukee hit and run injury lawyer who can help guide you through the process and advocate for you.

police officer responding to a hit and run accident

How Do You Report a Hit and Run to the Police?

If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a hit and run, or if your property was damaged, it's important that you report the accident to the police. If they do not respond to the scene of the accident you are responsible for reporting the accident yourself. In order to report the accident you will need the following information:

  • Your drivers license number
  • Your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
  • Your Social Security number
  • Your insurance information

You can fill out an accident report form on the Wisconsin DOT website here. If your vehicle was unattended at the time of the crash and no one was injured, you can follow the instructions in this document.

What Evidence Is Needed to Prove a Hit and Run?

If police are able to track down the negligent driver and take them to court, they will most likely handle the collecting of evidence and proving a case against the responsible driver. Particularly they will need to prove that the driver was aware of the collision and intentionally did not stop or offer assistance. In most cases, a criminal conviction will help your civil case, should you choose to sue the driver or their insurance directly for your damages.

What Percentage of Hit and Runs Are Solved?

Unfortunately, not many hit and run cases are solved. Data shows that over 90% of hit and run cases go unsolved. However, even if your case remains unsolved, that doesn't mean that you can't receive compensation for your injuries. Our team is ready to fight for you to get the compensation your insurance company owes you.

Contact Dunk Law Firm

Since 2004, our car accident attorneys have been providing compassionate, client-focused representation to injured victims within our community. We understand just how devastating these accidents are, both to victims and their families. Our firm is here to provide the caring support you need and the aggressive advocacy you deserve.

Otros servicios

Oficina de Houston

717 Franklin St
Houston, TX 77002

(713) 575-1991

Oficina de Memphis

149 Monroe Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103

(901) 231-4779

Oficina de Milwaukee

777 Jefferson Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202

(713) 575-1991